Saturday, July 11, 2009

Chemo Teach.....

Yesterday our entire family went to hear all about mom's upcoming chemo treatments. We spent about an hour hearing the lifestyle changes that mom needs to make and the good/bad of chemo. Here's the break down:

Lifestyle Changes....
  1. New toothbrush every 3 months and gargling with mouthwash twice a day. Chemo patients can often develop mouth sores, so she needs to be very diligent in taking care of her mouth.
  2. Nutritional diet. Mom needs to start eating more organic foods and working on keeping a stable weight. This seems very challenging, since she already doesn't have much of an appetite right now. This does change from day to day. When she is craving something, we get it for her. Last week it was Dairy Queen and strawberries. :)
  3. Eating with plastic ware. Apparently the chemo makes metal taste very bad in one's mouth and can prevent someone from eating, so she's going to start caring her plastic ware with her.

Good/Bad of Chemo.....

Bad:

  • Hair loss
  • Loss of appetite
  • Increased fatigue
  • Decreased immune system
  • Leaves a poor taste in one's mouth
  • Nausea....but hopefully not with the anti-nausea medicine they prescribed
  • Can attack good cells....like hair and red/white blood cells

Good:
  • Attacks the cancer cells

Rough list, huh? Does anyone else hate lists that aren't equal? I know I'm one of those people.

I really want there to be more good on that list for my mom. Now I know that the main thing is that the cancer cells are about to get the stuff kicked out of them, but I want to know that she'll have more. That's the human side of me I guess. We all want the the biggest bang for the buck.

Yet after thinking about this more, I've realized that mom has already received so much in the last two weeks. The overwhelming number of phone calls, cards, emails, and more have been showering her with love. Jesus came to show us how to love. He even gave us that command in John 13:34.....
Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

It's been so amazing to see God's word coming to life through those that love my mom and family. Thank you!!!

I know many have asked how you can pray or how you can help. Here are some ideas below. I will continue to offer ideas regularly.
  1. Prayer for my mom and family as she begins her chemo treatments. They begin on July 13 at 9:00.
  2. Prayer for completing the paperwork for my mom to stay off work. We have all the forms now, so we just need to get them all filled out.
  3. I know some have offered to help with meals, but since mom's appetite is not predictable and we are trying to get her what she craves. Gift cards to restaurants that offer carry out, to Trader Joe's, or to Whole Foods would be awesome!!! Some restaurants ideas are Crackle Barrel, Bob Evan's, McAlister's Deli, Panera, Subway, Arby's, and Olive Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment